Chocolate cornflake cakes
Chocolate cornflake cakes are one of the easiest things you can make with kids. This simple no-bake recipe is perfect for getting kids busy in the kitchen.
Chocolate cornflake cakes are the easiest thing you can make with little kids and toddlers. They’re a classic children’s bake I remember making when I was little and now my kids love making them too.
If you’ve never heard of them, where have you been?! They are simple of bake treat of crunchy cornflakes coated in delicious chocolate.
How can kids help to make chocolate cornflake cakes?
This is such an easy bake even young children and toddlers can help make it. Children can help measure everything out and once the chocolate has melted mix everything together.
Once the cornflake mixture is ready kids can also fill up the cupcake cases – this is a much easier and less messy job than the same job when you’re making something like cupcakes. Finally, if you are decorating the cornflake cakes, your kids can be in charge of that task.
How do you store them?
Cornflake cakes will keep in an air tight container for a few days. If you leave them for much longer they won’t keep their crunch not that that’s much of a problem in our house!
Can you use a microwave?
Yes. Rather than using a double boiler to melt the chocolate you can use a microwave. Heat it, along with the butter and syrup, at 80% power at 30 second intervals. Stir it all together in between microwave blasts.
What can I use instead of golden syrup?
If you don’t have of can’t find golden syrup you can swap it for an equal amount of light corn syrup, honey or even maple syrup.
Can I decorate them?
These cornflake cakes are really popular at Easter filled with mini eggs (or other small Easter eggs).
They’re the perfect bake at Easter but that doesn’t mean you can’t make them at other times of the year. You can leave them plain but if you want to decorate them try adding some sprinkles, Halloween or Christmas candy or anything else your children want to!
Other no bake treats
If you liked this recipe you’ll love our other easy no bake treats for kids:
You might need the following baking tools/gadgets to make these chocolate cornflake cakes
200g milk chocolate
2 tablespoons golden syrup
How to make chocolate cornflake cakes
Fill a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
Measure out the cornflakes
Get your kids to measure out the cornflakes and add them to a large mixing bowl.
Melt the chocolate, butter and syrup together
Get your kids to measure the chocolate, break it into pieces and add it to a heatproof bowl. Measure the butter, chop it into a few pieces and add that to the chocolate.
Finally, get your kids to measure the golden syrup. You might need to hold the measuring spoon while they add the golden syrup or vice versa if your kids are still young.
Put the bowl over a pan of simmering water (a double boiler). Gently melt everything, stirring to mix it all together. Older children may be able to help with this if they can be careful around the hot bowl/cooker.
Make the chocolate cornflake cakes
Once your mixture has melted and is nice and smooth, pour it into your bowl of cornflakes. Get your kids to mix it all together with a wooden spoon or spatula until the cornflakes are all coated in chocolate. If the mixture is too chocolatey you can add a little more cornflakes.
Get your kids to spoon the chocolate cornflakes into the cupcake cases.
Leave them to set for a few hours. If it’s very warm you can pop them in the fridge to help them set.
Serve and enjoy!
Chocolate cornflake cakes
- Digital scales
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Wooden spoons
- Sauce pan
- Muffin tin
- Cupcake cases
- 150 g (6 cups) cornflakes
- 200 g (1 ⅛ cups) milk chocolate
- 50 g (3 ½ tablespoons) butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- Fill a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
MEASURE OUT THE CORNFLAKES
- Measure out the cornflakes and add them to a large mixing bowl.
MELT THE CHOCOLATE, BUTTER AND SYRUP TOGETHER
- Measure the chocolate, break it into pieces and add it to a heatproof bowl. Measure the butter, chop it into a few pieces and add that to the chocolate.Finally, measure the golden syrup and add it to your bowl.
- Put the bowl over a pan of simmering water (a double boiler). Gently melt everything, stirring to mix it all together.
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE CORNFLAKE CAKES
- Once your mixture has melted and is nice and smooth, pour it into your bowl of cornflakes. Mix it all together with a wooden spoon or spatula until the cornflakes are all coated in chocolate. If the mixture is too chocolatey you can add a little more cornflakes.
- Divide the chocolate cornflakes among the cupcake cases.Leave them to set for a few hours. If it's very warm you can pop them in the fridge to help them set.
Pin it for later